Monday, May 2, 2011

Hiking the Y











Gabe's ongoing enthusiasm for the hike sounded something like this, "Mom this is great. I love hiking. I want to be a hiker when I grow up. This is so much fun. I came back to hike with you because I didn't want you to be alone. Can we do this again?"

David's lack of enthusiasm sounded something like this, "Mom I don't like this. Can we go home? I want to go back to the car. Can you carry me? My legs hurt. I don't want to do this."

Zach's response to David and Gabe," Keep going, you're doing a great job. Just a few more turns. We're almost there. No one is going to carry you David and we're not going back to the car. I'm already carrying Mac."

Mom tugging David along ::Click, Click:: "Come on David, you can make it. We can rest just up there at that rest spot. No I cannot carry you. ::Click, Click::

It took about an hour to complete the one mile hike up, toting three little ones, but it was a great FHE. It took maybe 45 minutes to get down. A "flow" experience as Zach would call it, or in other words, rising to meet a family challenge. I think we will save a repeat of this particular "flow experience" until next year when David's legs are a little longer.

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Great family! We miss our approximately yearly dinners with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and get the poor kid some hiking shoes! I think if I hiked the Y in those rubber boots, I'd complain loudly, too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! Any hike should be a cake walk after last years G hike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those hats! Love those photos. Still have yet to hike the Y.

    ReplyDelete