Friday, February 25, 2011

Metal Mouth


Welcome to my newly adorned mouth. I was thinking my pearly whites looked kind of plain so I decided to give them some silver jewelry. Don't be fooled, beauty is pain. I know my braces look cute, but they hurt like... well lets just say they hurt a lot for now. I'm on day two, having had the small torture devices implanted yesterday so I'll refer to this as "tender-two." from now till the end of my jail sentence every time I get them tightened. My diet for the past 48 hours has been a Mechanical soft one. For those of you not familiar with that term, let me translate- old people food. Anything soft or seemingly pre-chewed would pass the mechanical soft test. I had oatmeal for breakfast (skip on the usual walnuts and raisins), a banana and half a muffin for a snack, a no-crust grilled cheese for lunch, and mushed up beans for dinner. I already miss my friends the fresh carrots and crisp apples. And yes, I consider myself friends with these two fiber-ful foods. Some of you may be familiar with this American foot-binding process or have teenagers living the dental dream right now, so I'd share my general condolences. Hopefully I'll get them off in 12 months but Zach informs me mouth construction is like building construction- never done on time. He gives me knowing looks of sympathy when I puff out my cheeks so the wire fixture in my mouth doesn't give me any more pain via friction. I never had these things as a kid but I can already tell, I will faithfully wear my retainer when it is all over. No way I'm doing this again!
Here's to all the kids who ever got called Brace-face.


5 comments:

  1. I did braces as an adult, as well. Of course, mine were in preparation for a jaw surgery. Either way, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had to have braces. Guess I was very lucky. How come you have braces now? I can't imagine having my mouth full of metal for 12 months. It was enough having a partial plate waiting for my final bridge on my implants which was a two-year process. That wasn't fun either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your teeth and smile are wonderful! Why now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I'm sorry. Ibuprofen and smoothies.
    That's my Rx for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are CUTE! And as mother always said..."Beauty is PAIN!" May yours be everlasting. (the beauty part that is) xo :)

    ReplyDelete