Friday, January 28, 2011

Do You-ba Zumba?

Last night I went to my first ever Zumba class. It was held at a local LDS meeting house in our "region." The building was all of half a mile away and its not even in our stake, but thats a different story. For those of you not familiar with Zumba it is a Latin-inspired dance-exercise thing. Just imagine a cross between Jane Fonda and and Enrique Iglesias. It is supposed to provide a great work out and now I can say from first hand experience that it certainly does! My legs were on fire during some of the routines. Like most of the other exercise fads, this is mostly a chick thing. For some odd reason there weren't any guys that showed up to beat their imaginary drums and shake their caboose. I hear there are a few Latino men that will do it though. Being an all female class was probably for the best. I'm sure it would have made the ladies a little self conscious to be doing this in front of men-folk. There were plenty of "silver sneakers" there though which pleasantly surprised me. Dance on ladies. I hope I'm up to it when I'm "that age." Joining this Zumba class made me think of my friend Cora who would have loved it and made Zumba look good instead of just work. The class would have been all the more fun to go to as well. Cora, are you out there somewhere Zumba-ing? Ditch the workout, join the party!

5 comments:

  1. i love zumba and zumba toning..i do it at least 3 days a week mixed with step and kickboxing on the other days! it is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's so hilarious! Last night I was trying to teach myself Brazilian samba on youtube (ghetto- I know), and mentioned to Christian how I wished Zumba classes around here weren't so pricey. I think I'm gonna have to check out a video from the library, and shake my can-can at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just.this.week wondering what zumba was! Thank you for enlightening us. I have been doing some Billy Blanks Latin dancing on exercise tv. Now I'll go looking for some zumba! Fun!
    (I wish I could have been sporting the silver sneakers)
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! It's a hit out here with local church and PTO groups, as fundraisers. Also big classes at the Y

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Weight Watchers leader does this a couple times a week and she absolutely loves it! She said she always feels so invigorated after her Zumba class.

    ReplyDelete