Friday, January 21, 2011

3rd Shower

Brrrr... If you are the lucky one, you know all about the "third shower." How there's not a drop of hot water left for your pleasant morning wake-up. Instead your morning washing turns into a rather hurried affair, cleaning one body part at a time and getting barely wet enough to count as clean.
There are only two adults in this family, so you ask, how can I take the third shower? We'll its very simple, the girl upstairs is an early riser and often beats me to the punch. Zach's alarm goes off at 6:00 so thats when I usually get up too. The first thing he does is shower and I often hop in after he's all done. I know I'm in for it if I hear her running her shower the same time as he does because our water system really isn't designed for three in a row. At 6:20 I'm crossing my fingers and steeling myself for the likelihood of another brisk speed-shower. Its the kind they like you to take if there is a drought. It doesn't happen every morning, but its happened enough times that its going on the list of "Things I'll enjoy about having my own house some day." It makes me think of Zach's nephew Roger on his mission in Panama where he enjoys the same cold-shower pleasure. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise- a better wake up for my day and a few extra minutes built into the beginning of it. Blessing or curse, all's I know is that its chilly!

5 comments:

  1. You are BRAVE! I'd forgo the morning shower and opt for a night one if the water ran out. I guess it kind of jump starts your morning though, the way coffee does for most people? Maybe? I don't know, I'm not brave enough to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, something isn't right with the hot water system. It shouldn't run out like that and you should have separate hot water heaters to begin with and not the same for two units. I go with Becky in that case--take it at night before you go to bed. I've been doing that lately so all I have to do is a quick wash in the morning. I don't think I'd like a "cool" shower this time of year--brrrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shower at night as well. Don't like to deal with wet hair in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiar with the third shower syndrome... that's why i take mine about 10am, when all systems are regenerated, nobody is left in the house, and I can let the water run for as LONG as I want.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you classify that as delayed gratification?

    ReplyDelete