Monday, October 25, 2010

The best Picnic Ever


About 3 weeks ago our family of five DID have the best picnic ever: great weather, good company,and a beautiful picnic spot. I packed the boys up with a sack lunch and met Zach on campus at the waterfall. Its a beautiful spot they created shortly after the both of us graduated a few years ago. It was all very picturesque. Smart me though, forgot my camera.

The next week I tried to recreate the moment, but you know how that goes- just can't be done. The weather was already cooler and over cast and we were somewhat rushed since Zach had a 1:00 appointment with a student. That, AND it was parent day at BYU so we had to park a little further than Timbuktu and walk to the picnic area. I made the pilgrimage with two small boys, a lunch, a box for a missionary, a stroller, PLUS a camera in my purse this time! It was no small feat to make it there before Zach had to leave at all.


The boys had sweatshirts and shoes on minutes before taking this picture so that gives you an idea of how chilly this water was. As Gabe let out little squeals of delight he exclaimed, "Mom, I'm glad Heavenly Father made this water for us. " I didn't have the heart to burst his bubble and tell him that BYU landscaping may have helped just a little.


(In case any of you are feeling sorry for these poor creatures, these overly bold avian need the occasional chasing.They are so used to people and begging scraps from picnickers that they just waddle right up to you hoping for a dropped crust of bread or bite of cookie. )


All and all it was a lovely, howbeit somewhat short, outing. The after-outing trip to the BYU post office took just about as long as the actual outing itself. About 100 yards into the return trip David decides that he can't possibly walk another step and stops right there in the middle of the sidewalk demanding a piggy back ride. We took a short "People Watching" rest until I came up with the compromise that he could have a piece of gum if he made it back to the car. (And no, a compromise is not the same thing as a bribe. I'm not quite sure how they are different, but just take my word for it, they are.) We made it back safe and sound and by the time I drove back to Orem I had three sleeping boys in my back seat, two of which actually stayed asleep when we got into the house. ::Ahhhhhhhh.... sigh of relief from mom:: Having fun is hard work.

4 comments:

  1. O my goodness, that has to be on the hill, Maeser Hill? I can't think of where else that would be. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delainey and i "compromise" often haha... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having fun IS hard work; especially when you're having fun with toddlers!

    THANK YOU, Alana, for bringing packages to our missionary! I know he feels the love, and we do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of like running a half marathon and knowing there's some treat at the end . . .

    ReplyDelete