Saturday, September 25, 2010

Woman Food

Tonight I went to a perfectly lovely Relief Society function with perfectly lovely table arrangements, perfectly lovely women, and perfectly lovely woman food. It was all perfectly lovely. Any guesses as to the main and side dish when I say "woman food"? You got it- soup and salad. Toss on a lovely bread stick and you have your self a bona-fide Relief Society meal.

I am well aware that some of the older ladies do not even burn half the calories I do as a young, exercising, nursing mother, but come on- does it always have to be woman food? I also understand their desire to be economical which I appreciate and respect. They can't just chuck the doilies in exchange for 200 medium rare New York strips. Still, I just don't think you should leave a "dinner" feeling hungry. It's like eating the first and second course of a 3 course meal but not the main dish.

Now don't be offended if you have ever organized one of these or similar functions and served woman food. I am sure that the majority of your non-paying customers were more than satisfied with your efforts to candy the almonds and not over-salt the minestrone.The food I ate was actually pretty tasty; I just wouldn't classify it as filling. There were only a few of us who were craving something a little more substantial. My solution, just have a dessert social and not the pretense of a full meal. Serve real woman food and just make it a chocolate and cheesecake buffet. Maybe this is why I am NOT in the stake Relief Society presidency. Perhaps I'll just eat before hand next time. (And right now, I think I'll go have a snack . . . )

3 comments:

  1. You're a woman after my own meat and potatoes heart. I was in the stake relief society, and we served dessert dinners. I went to a soup and cookie event last night and snuck out to get a milk shake to fill me up. Hear you roar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they ever hear of pot luck? Everyone bring a dish and then you'll have a substantial meal. Had one of those at church today--salad, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes, ham, cheese, meatballs, and lots of desserts. Filled my tummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it IS all about the food!...
    We had a baked potato bar Saturday night, with ALL the fixins and I had TWO. Mmmmm. I didn't even want dessert after all that.

    ReplyDelete