Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Uglies



Last night I finished Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I would rate it as 'pretty good'. A quick, fun read centered around an original idea. Some time in the future, everyone in society gets extensive plastic surgery at the age of 16 to become stunningly beautiful. Before the surgery, everyone is considered Ugly by comparison. The Uglies have something to look forward to though. Soon they will be stepping out of Uglyville and going to New Pretty Town where everyone is always happy and all they do is party with other beautiful people. Only thing is, not everyone wants to change their face. And there is something not quite right about people who are always happy... Its a great concept. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. Pretties, Specials, and Extras. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it into a movie.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good book. I am going to read it! Have you read The Hunger Game Series? It is kind of futurist like this book but with a different plot. I really like them.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the Hunger Games. I loved the first two. Just waiting to get a hold of a copy of the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds creepy!
    I can't wrap my head around the hype for plastic surgery... I hope the book ended up having a positive message.

    ReplyDelete