Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Night and Day


Its fun to see how my two boys are so different. They look like brothers with the same gray blue eyes, the same dirty blond hair, the same tall lender build but their personalities are so opposite, even at this young age. Gabe has been the my bright star but demanding from day one. An obstinate 5 days late, I chose to be induced and then after 11 hours the doctor got the forcepts and decided to help this child enter the world. (I remember still not feeling like my old self 3 months after labor) After brining home our bundle of joy I didn't sleep for more than 1/2 an hour that first night and then not more than a few hours the rest of the week. It seemed like he was constantly awake and needing attention. A little motion junkie, he wanted to be bounced, walked, held and moved around. After only a month and a half he could not sit still and needed to bounce or wiggle all the time. He wanted to see the world, all before he was one. Sleep was a chore for this child, waking up constantly at night, and we fought this battle till he was at least 10 months. It was every two hours for a while. He was however, highly motivated to roll over, sit up, crawl, use baby signs, talk, and walk fairly young too. He is a very quick learner and is always saying funny things but needs constant activity. He was speaking in sentences by 19 months so at least it was not a big challenge to communicate with him. Being the main source of learning and entertainment for my little star has been a blessing as well well as a challenge.

In contrast, David Hyrum has been my easy going baby. He is my angel. He came a blessed two weeks early and as far as labors go, his wasn't too bad- 4 1/2 hours with no complications and not that much pushing. He still wakes up once in a while at night but its only to eat for 15 minutes and then just fall back asleep. I get more sleep now with two children than I did with just one baby. David Hyrum is happy and content just to be with you and sit on your lap. He's five months old and has recently learned to sit up pretty well. He still doesn't roll over however. Sometimes I forget he's in the room. I can take a whole shower and not hear a peep out of him while he plays with a toy. I take him to piano lessons with me and usually there's no problem. When David drifts off to sleep he often smiles and I wonder if he is still seeing angels. Part of the difference may be that as the second child there is more to see with a busy older sibling around. We are hopefully a more experienced parents too, but I know these my boys came down from heaven with personalities all their own. What a joy it is to be a mom.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for you!!! Welcome to the blogging world. I'm looking forward to more adventures down south. Thanks for joining us Alana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny, my two boys are also very different-polar opposites, but just the reverse of yours!! Parker was a harder baby, but now is the angel of our household. Carter was the easier baby, and can't seem to do what I ask him even with a good bribe or beating...
    I love having two boys, I hope you are having as much fun as I am. (I know you are...) :)
    I miss you, I wish you were a bit closer. We are never going to leave Denver, so if you are ever driving through...let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana- You description of Gabe is exactly my Lucy!! Please tell me he sleeps now!?! Lucy is 10 months tomorrow and just doesn't sleep... Moves constantly... She is simply amazing... But Oh So Busy!!

    Hoping to get to know you...

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete