Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cute Things they do and Say



I've been keeping a little journal for each of the boys of developments, funny things they do or say, and anything that I'd like to remember or I'd think they would enjoy reading about themselves when they are older. Here are some of the ones I've written:



I like to call David Hyrum my 'baby bear' not only because he's the youngest but because when trying to communicate more often than not he growls. Its a cute growl and sometimes you can get him to go back and forth with you doing it. Zach can sing tenor, David can sing bass, and I'm just hoping Gabe can sing.

When David Hyrum was born the first thing Gabe (21 months) told me in the hospital when I let him meet his baby brother was "Mommy, put him back in the crib". I guess he was done looking at that toy.

Gabe's favorite song right now is "Old McDonald". Sometimes he'll sit up at the piano and play and sing it (in a slightly monotone voice) to himself. He requests that we sing it at every family home evening. He's not restrained by the conventional animals that belong on a farm though so we have dinosaurs, fish, tigers, crocodiles and many other assorted species that visit our song.

About a month after Gabe had joined nursery we asked him who had been there that day. He replied "Jesus". Zach, replied "Oh, thats where he must have gone, because he wasn't in Elder's Quorum today".

As mentioned in another post, David is my contented little baby and if he's not hungry will stay in his crib for quite a while without crying. To keep himself occupied however he uses the mattress as a thumping board and will kick it for repeatedly. I let him do that for an hour once (between 4am and 5am) thinking he would eventually either fall asleep or cry. He never did so I eventually had pity on him and went to get him. I was rewarded by a big smile, a laugh, and a final excited thump of the mattress.

Gabe is very possessive of his blue sports blankie and one time I used it to cover David. Gabe promptly came over and informed me that David didn't like the blankie, that he liked another one better and made the trade.

Before Gabe turned 2 he was sitting on my lap and he said "Mommy you have 'owies' on your legs"- I hadn't shaved in a while and he was right- I did have "owies" on my legs. He'll also tell me something is "too lame" if he doesn't like it. "I don't want to read that book, its too lame mommy".

I'm not exactly where Gabe gets all his phrases from, but once I asked him if he would like me to change his diaper and he replied "no thank you my dear". I'm pretty sure I changed it anyway.

More to come on this topic I'm sure.

6 comments:

  1. Biggest laugh goes to Zach's witty comeback of where Jesus wasn't.

    We're trying to change that here in the Nboro ward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now THOSE are the good things that are worth writing down for posterity! Good job, Alana--they'll read those over and over and over... (and so will I!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No thankyou my dear" - that's my favorite. Gabe's request of "putting David back in the crib" after he first met him reminds me of the time that I told my little ones I was having another baby (I was pregnant with Ben) and Kaleb was the first to respond with..."Okay, can we take Stevie back to the store?" (I think he was only 3 at the time) Good for you for journaling - my kids love theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the best! I had already forgotten some of those. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that last one "my dear" is a hoot! that's smart of you to write all those things down. = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, thank you so much for sharing those stories, they for sure made me laugh!! Im still laughing:) Im not suprised one bit that little Gabe of yours is such a crack up, hes got Zach as a father! Hes got to live up to him somehow, Zach was always good at making me laugh:) (For the record, Im not being sarcastic at all, completely for real!) Anyways, I cant wait to see you all soon and laugh with ya'll in person!

    ReplyDelete