Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Good Things of the Earth


Doctrine and Covenants 59:17-20

17Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;
18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden
the heart;
19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen
the body and to enliven the soul.
20 And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion


For some time now I've been a grumbler about the heat down South. Summer has traditionally been my least favorite season. A triple digit temperature reading is plenty of reason to stay indoors and be grumpy. But this year, I'm beginning to change my mind. This is due in no small part to the milder summer temperatures we have enjoyed and the rain that has blessed our area and my garden. Alas we sadly had to move at the climax of tomato picking season, but we enjoyed other produce and will be back for the tomatoes. Owing the majority of the garden success to Heavenly Father's great designing, there is a great measure of satisfaction in seeing a tiny seed you plant in a tray back in March turn into a beautiful tomato plant in July.
In addition to my first official garden, this has been a year of berries. Since the drought has let up we have gone strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry picking. The strawberry and blueberry picking were dates Zach and I escaped to. The last of these three, blackberry picking, involved dangerous adventures through a forest overwhelmed with insects and bushes laden with thorns. Gabe joined me on one such blackberry picking romp and he picked probably two berries, ate ten, and received about twenty mosquito bites (despite the hat, pants, long sleeves and bug spray I put on him). He was a trooper though and never complained. I spoted him the other cups or so we needed in the kitchen. The blackberries eventually turned into jam, the strawberries into smoothies, the tomatoes into pasta and salsa, and the blueberries a delicious topping for cereal in the mornings. While I still don't care for the heat and much rather see snow flakes than sprinklers, I'm counting my blessings this summer as we enjoy the good things of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment