Saturday, November 19, 2011

Book Review


For anyone you care about on your Christmas list. This book is to physical health as The Infinite Atonement is to spiritual health. Order it for yourself, read it, and then lend it to a friend. I really can't say enough about this book. I put off reading it for a while because I had a feeling he was going to tell me milk was bad for me, and he did. I feel a little lied to by the dairy industry, honestly, telling me milk was good for my bones all these years. As to the meat industry, I've known that was a bunch of "bull" for a while.  The author himself is a vegan and advocates as little animal protein  in the diet as possible. (He's 70 years old and still able to run 6 miles a day.) Reading between the lines it sounded like you could get many of the same benefits on a flexitarian diet- or very nearly vegetarian diet- of up to about 1 oz of meat a day (think one big bite of a hamburger or one 7 oz serving/week). I'm not announcing my switch to vegetarianism thus far, but I've been drinking water with more meals and I have been scanning the horizon for more vegetarian options for my family.Meat eating opportunities come up often enough. Twenty years of good solid research have gone into these recommendations and there is convincing evidence that diet alone can reverse heart disease, prevent cancer, and cure type 2 diabetes. Diet can also slow the development of cataracts, auto-immune diseases, and memory loss. Its not just for weight loss any more folks. People say "I may die 10 years younger, but at least I'll die happy" but there is nothing happy about kidney stones, osteoporosis, nuropothies, pain and discomfort. A change in diet will not only add years to your life but life to your years and I for one want to be as useful as possible, as long as possible. Get this book, check it out from the library, read it, feel guilty. A little guilt is good once in a while if it leads to change. Good luck people, and share any stellar vegetarian ideas you have with me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just wondering if you have read any of the Weston A. Price research--I think that it is equally compelling in the opposite direction of this research. In the end, it all makes me feel like moderation in all things will always be the best policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.--I do agree that we should all be throwing vegetarian meals into the mix, and here is one recipe we found lately that I really like!

    http://www.keepitsimplefoods.com/vegetarian/spicy-black-bean-and-sour-cream-enchiladas/

    I have made a few substitutions (like dried cilantro for fresh and whatever enchilada sauce I had around). The only thing I left out was the cinnamon. I'm hoping to try a few more recipes from this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been afraid of this book for a LONG time.

    ReplyDelete