Monday, September 26, 2011

The Infinite Atonement


I just finished this wonderful book yesterday after two months of Sunday reading. It is probably the best church book I have read to date on the most important subject anyone can talk about. Tad Callister is a masterful writer who draws heavily from the scriptures, prophets, personal meditation and classical authors. It was a joy to read and very enlightening. I cannot say enough about this book and think everyone with access to a copy should read it. Whether you are new to the gospel or an "old pro" it has something for you, and probably many things. Mom and dad don't know I "borrowed" their copy. Perhaps when I tell them, if I'm lucky they will let me keep it. It is definitely a re-read, and I never re-read books. 

A few of the many nuggets I found:

His Message
"The Savior's message, meaning the gospel of Jesus Christ, had been preached before the meridian of time and would yet be preached again...Certainly it was a great blessing to have the Savior personally preach His gospel message, but that was not the essential reason for which he came. Others have been his spokesmen, both before and after his mortal advent..."
His Ministry
"The Savior's ministry included the working of miracles, but Enoch, Moses, Elijah, and others had performed similar wonders before his birth. Peter, Paul and others would perform like miracles after his ascension."
His Mission
"While others could preach the Savior's message and even perform a ministry of miracles and priesthood ordinances, only he could accomplish that divinely appointed mission, namely the redemption of the world. No proxies, no substitutes, no surrogates, not even heaven-sent angels or prophets would or could do."

The Atonement is not just a prime teaching of the gospel; it is the heart of the gospel. It infuses life into every doctrine, every principle, and every ordinance, transforming what might otherwise be a lofty but nonetheless lifeless ideal, to a vibrant spiritual truth."

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Thanks for the report.

    (I really like the cover art)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana, I have been reading that book for like a year. I read a chapter here and there while also reading other books...but I think it's taking me so long b/c I just wanted to go slow to digest it all. I love it though. I like the last quotation you listed best...the atonement erally is the heart of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete