Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sock Wars

So my middle child is two years old- David Hyrum. Sometimes there is just no getting around being two, or four for that matter. The other day he and Gabe had a very vehement disagreement, to the point of tears, as to which of them was going to get to wear the "joker socks". (They are a black pair of socks that has a picture of the Hunch back of Notre Dame wearing a jester's hat. ) In the end I thought that it would be wisest to rotate the use of the pair so that one cried this time and the other cried the next time- just so long as we got out the door! That is always a struggle with three small children. Dad on the other hand, independent of my decision, came up with a better one. He gave each child a sock and had them wear a different sock on the other foot. Apparently this appeased the wee ones and staunched the tear ducts. I'm sure eventually the novelty of the second-hand foot apparel will wear off.
That night I said to Zach, "I should just be grateful. In ten or fifteen years I'm going to be arguing with them about girls and video games and electronic devices Wishing I were still arguing about socks." Needless to say, Zach agreed. When me and the boys resolve our differences then, I'm not sure I'll get a big squishy hug afterward either. My continual lesson: don't rush it because then its gone and you're sad its over. I'm going to go wake up my squishy two year old now from his nap.

2 comments:

  1. Wise King Solomon would agree with your decisions. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish I could wake up your squishy two year old...

    ReplyDelete