Saturday, November 13, 2010

Our New Thing



(Sing this to the tune of Book of Mormon Stories)


Book of Hutchins' stories that my mommy tells to me,
Are about the Gabey-ites in modern history
Long ago their father came from far away NC
Given this room, in which we live, righteously

David-ites met others who were seeking liberty
And the room who welcomed all who wanted to play free
Book of Hutchins' stories say that we must brothers be
Given this room, in which we live, righteously

This is our new thing. We read a little bit from the Book of Mormon stories at breakfast time each day. I'm usually done first anyway and just wait around while I shovel food into Mac's mouth. This way I have something else to do. We still read five verses from the real Book of Mormon at night but this is a lot easier for the boys to understand. AND, bonus, there are pictures too. It is an Ensign-inspired idea. It makes our mornings go smoother and brings the Spirit into our home. I don't have to coerce David into takeing bites either, I just stop reading and say take a bite and he does it so the reading will continue. It's a beautiful thing. (Plus, I feel a certian kinship to Lehi's family since their band of boys get so much press time up front in the Book of Mormon.) As my father-in-law would say, "This is good."

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Love having boys trapped at the table with food for scripture reading. It was like nursery kids having snack so the lesson can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the gospel art kit first came out, we shuffled through those things MANY MANY times at the breakfast table, just like you're doing now. You're a good mom! Those lessons will sink in.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Book of Mormon stories "book". What great memories I have of reading those with the kids--and yes, usually there was food involved. It helped keep the little ones corralled and gave the big ones something to listen to. I miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why, but imagining the random "take a bite" command makes me laugh. We miss you too!

    ReplyDelete