Thursday, August 5, 2010

Atlas Shrugged

Atlas was the man who was tricked by the weak into holding up the world. This is the story of his liberation. I have been reading this book for more weeks than I care to admit, but I'm finally done. Its almost 1100 small print pages of atheistic intellectualism. Was it worth the time? A resounding yes. Ayn Rand shaped a good deal of American economic policy by the ideas put forth in this book (1954). It is a story about the strong not being bound in servitude to the weak. There is much good she has to say about honesty and putting forth the best that is within us. She speaks about not abdicating your right and duty to think for yourself. She also has some good things to say about not having a deservant attitude, working hard, and being a self made man. Do I agree with everything she has to say? Not at all. But at the very least, it gets you thinking about what you really do believe. I'd recomend this book to most adult audiences ready for a challenging read.

2 comments:

  1. i loved that book. devin just read it recently, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if I'm ready for a challenging read, but I appreciate your summary!

    ReplyDelete