Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Guilty Pleasure




You know what I love about summer- fresh produce. It makes my soul happy. It is too early in the season to have my own tomatoes from the garden, but the ones I've been buying on the side of the road are really the next best thing. I ate a store bought tomatoe along side a local tomatoe and there is really no comparison at all. I wonder to myself, why on earth do I buy out of season tomatoes from Argentina that taste like cardboard in the winter? Yes it may be twice the price, but it is twice the taste and twice the nutrition as well.


In Michael Pollan's two books The Omnivore's Delima and In Defense of Food, he talks about the importance of eating local for the health of the earth and for your own health. Since this is not a book review I'll sum it up: it takes less gas to get it there, its picked after it has actually ripened so the produce has reached it's peak in nutrition and taste, and it is often grown with less chemicals being oragnaic in everything but name and fancy label.


Zach commented to me as I was savoring a sun rippened juicy tomatoe, that if I ever died, he would probably cry when he saw tomatoes- I love them that much. Its a gift I wish I could share with all of you.

2 comments:

  1. I second everything you have posted (except you dying part) :) There is NOTHING like freshly grown produce. Makes my heart happy! (in more ways than one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Roger met me for the first time, I was sitting outside on my lunchbreak, eating a fresh garden tomato like you would normally eat an apple. I love them THAT much, too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete