Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rodent slayer

(This picture was actually taken over a month ago, its grown)

My garden has been only mildly successful this year. Lots of foliage, limited produce. One of the primary reasons- rodents. Namely Rabbits and squirrels. It is the beginning of August now, well past time for the first ripe tomatoes to be ready and yet until this past week I haven't gotten a single one. You ask why, I shall tell you. Those little gray varmints stole every single one. I know I should be getting ripe tomatoes, I've had green ones for quite some time, and I've also had rows of empty stems where I know tomatoes once resided.


(Just look at those red beady little eyes, I don't think its the camera)


Well my loving husband took up the clarion call to destroy some of the peskiest pests and borrowed a squirrel trap from my father. He has trapped and drown four squirrels up to date in the true pioneer spirit, and I have in fact enjoyed my first handful of sweet cherry tomatoes. The kind you can't get at the store for any price. The tiny tangy garden candy that only comes once a year and was being viciously absconded from my little plot. Do I feel bad about the squirrels? Not at all. It feels much like squishing an ant that is in the kitchen eating my food. Am I glad Zach volunteered for the job so I wouldn't have to drown the small rabble rousers? Absolutely. Thanks knight in shining armor. It at least feels like righteous vengance if nothing else.

5 comments:

  1. ugh...i've been SO lucky with my garden. no varmits or pests. i love that zach was willing to do that for you, i would NOT be able to drown the squirrels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Mom and Dad have ever had problems with all those squirrels in the yard. I do know however bunnies are voracious eaters. I'm glad you guys are obedient and planted a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much for the "have a heart" trap. At least you know there are four squirrels who will never eat one of your tomatoes again! We had one on the roof over our bay windows to catch a squirrel who was insistent about chewing the shingles and trying to make a nest in an overhang on the roof. Well, unfortunately, we caught a sparrow which had died. We finally got rid of the squirrel--he gave up and left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ew!
    Glad you're getting ripe tomatoes... nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a diffucult problem.

    Joseph Smith said, "if you know what I knew, you wouldn't hurt anything- or something along the lines of it.

    ReplyDelete