Saturday, July 2, 2011

Our neighbor gave us of the fruit...

And we did eat. Our sweet little 80 year old neighbor has 6 fruit trees in the yard of her rental house and she generously let us pick her fresh cherries this week. This was a first for our family.All the boys loved the cherries but Mac loved the little red fruits so much that we've had to limit his consumption for fear of what is coming out the other end. (Including seeds and stems!)







We canned most of the cherries making 11 quarts of pie filling. This was no small task since each little cherry has to be stemmed and pitted. Feels good to start on this years food storage.

4 comments:

  1. LUCKY! I love neighbors who share...even more, I love that it's FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I LOVE cherries! I would've eaten so many we wouldn't have been able to can them. Good job though, you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is no small task indeed. THOSE are my husband's favorite kinds of pie. THEY are a great bargain for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That had to be a tedious job but well worth it, I am sure. What did you use for the liquid?

    ReplyDelete